Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day 2012


Yesterday I purposely took the opportunity to unplug from everything, kick back and relax, stop and smell the roses, seize the day, enjoy the fruit of my labor, and count my lucky stars! Not surprisingly I spent much of the day outdoors, in spite of the steamy blanketing air that made it sometimes difficult to take in a deep, cleansing breath. So it turned out the best solution was to remain in a reclined position on the patio chaise lounge, a cool beverage and hose-mounted-spray-mist thing within arm’s reach. There I meditated on the meaning of  life and the goodness, value, indeed the blessing of work.  

Since 1985 I have had the benefit of continuous, full-time employment. Opportunities to grow professionally have often been challenging but, in retrospect, well worth the effort. Through continual learning, flexibility in my expectations, and willingness to accept responsibility and risk, realization of my unlikely lifelong dream of business ownership came to pass.

To a large extent this realization is the direct result of the collective effort of the people with whom I have the honor of working.  To each of their credit I see in them what certainly is the embodiment of "the American worker" – dogged determination to customer satisfaction, highest degree of integrity and ethical fortitude, relentless pursuit of growth and development, and compassion for the wellness of their endeavor.

Labor Day reminds me to salute my co-workers and workers across this magnificent country. I am sincerely thankful to be blessed with work and remain certain that as a nation we will resolve the challenges before us so that everyone desiring to work is able to do so.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment